Monday, May 10, 2010

Welcoming our new pets

  We are the proud owners of six, that's right six, baby chicks.  They are not yellow at all and have many of their colored feathers in.  They are still pretty cute and the kids are both really excited about our "new pets."  They are new pets I guess, but we are hoping to eventually get some eggs from them.  We've been told we have a 95% chance they are hens and we hope they all are.  We didn't know what kind to get so we simply bought two of each (Rhode Island Reds, Americaunas, and Black Australorps).  I just read this fact about australorps as I tried to find the correct spelling of the breed, "an Australorp hen once laid 364 eggs in 365 days."      Anna greets the chicks (notice they are in the back of the kennel).  Anna likes to scream at them.
  So here are a few pics of our new chickies.  Andrew is wearing ear muffs because Jeff was pressure washing the driveway and it was too loud.  Thanks mom & dad for letting us borrow the dog kennel it is the perfect temporary home until their hen house is finished.   You are all welcome to come over and see the new additions to our family.

1 comment:

Debbie Deerwester said...

Chickies!!! Anna and Andrew must be having a blast with their new pets. Where are you putting the hen house? I really think for Mary's sake you should get a goat too. I hear that goats and chickens are awesome together! She could come over and visit it when she gets off her mission.